ATEG Archives

August 2012

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 03:45:11 +0000
I would argue that the "whom" rule has never actually existed as a part of the English we learn growing up.  It is a function of education and class and as such has taken root in the informal spoken English of those who descend from generations that have mastered formal written English and assume that informal spoken English should be like it.  On this grammatical issue the "good old days" when everyone knew and obeyed the who/whom rules never happened.  The same inconsistency in usage we find and frown on today occurs in English literature going back a thousand years.

The rule is an artifact of formal grammatical education.  Whether that fact ultimately makes any difference is not a grammatical question but a sociological one.

I remember attending a TESOL convention many years ago where I picked up a badge that said "I favor whom's doom."  I think it disappeared from my office sometime in the next couple of decades.  I hope the student or colleague who has it has treasured it as I did.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306
________________________________
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 10:02:45 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: subject of a clause vs object of a preposition
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Help me with this again, please. I’ve raised this kind of issue before, but I can’t remember your answers. Sorry. I would appreciate your thoughts again. Thank you.

From a statement regarding King Henry VIII from the Wikipedia article “English Reformation”:
“. . .he allowed himself to be influenced by his advisors from whom he was never apart, by night or day; he was thus susceptible to whoever had his ear.”

Am I to understand “whoever” is correct because the verb “had” needs a subject, put better, the clause needs a subject, and that that requirement is more important than the preposition “to” requiring an object?

This is the way I guide myself, but I don’t think I should explain it this way to my ESL students.

Martha G.

PS  Hope the conference was enjoyable and successful.