ATEG Archives

June 2011

Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:28:21 -0400
A clause has a subject (expressed or understood) and a finite verb.
Those clauses that express a complete thought may stand alone as a sentence;
all others are dependent clauses.
A phrase is a group of words that acts as a single part of speech regardless
of its internal complexity.
"His learning how to sing continuously in a basso profundo style is
remarkable."  Everything before "is" is a noun phrase
even though the R-K diagramming is complex.  I have never used or needed to
use the terms "reduced clause," "small clause," or
"non-finite cause" to teach my university or high school students English
grammar.  Even my professors in Advanced English
Grammar, and Advanced English Grammar and Composition saw no need.  I shun
the profuse verbosity of modern English grammars
as adding nothing to the understanding of the students.  People use big
words so the readers/listeners will be impressed and
will not understand what the self-proclaimed expert is talking about.  If
the self-proclaimed expert used simple words that
allowed the members of the audience to understand what is being said then
they might well realize that the "expert" does not
know what he is talking about.
If this be treason (heresy), then make the most of it
Scott Catledge