ATEG Archives

January 2010

Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 02:20:34 -0500
Interesting that my idiolect has an unvoiced in bequeath, booth, tollbooth,
with, herewith, wherewith, and forthwith, as well as absinthe, nepenthe,
and panther.  All of these I heard in my youth long before I ever saw them
written.  For 'without," as best I can reconstruct, I speak it unvoiced but
sing it voiced

I also notice that I give an unlaut on the vowel for many words with
the voiced th but not with the high vowel ee.

My formative speech patterns were those of the educated Deep South;
my only exposure to other speech patterns in my preschool years was
radio: I was an addict by age two.  I thought that FDR sounded really
funny in his fireside chats: Mother explained that Yankees do not sound
like we do when we talk but that fact does not mean that you should not
listen.  Do not judge the value of what someone says by how unusual he
sounds.

Do other educated rural/small town Southerners have the same variation that
I do?  If not, do any such commenters 70 and over share my speech pattern?
Is it a distinction based on race?

Scott Catledge

Date:    Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:33:41 +0000
From:    Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: unvoiced TH and voiced THE

I have come to notice a common preference in England for the spelling
'loath' over 'loth' (meaning 'disinclined').   I have always used the
latter, following the general distinction between words that end in 'th'
having that consonant unvoiced (rhyming with 'both') as against the verb
'loathe' (meaning 'intensely hate') which has the voiced consonant.
However, I should not be pedantic because the addition of 'a' in the
spelling usually does not disturb the application of the rule that it be
unvoiced if no 'e' is added.  Are 'loth' and 'loath' (as the adjective
meaning 'disinclined') pronounced unvoiced in America?

Indeed, a look in the dictionary shows that 'loath' -- with the unvoiced
consonant -- has for a long time been used for the 'disinclined' meaning,
presumably because of the semantic association between 'disinclined' and
'intensely hate'.

Elsewhere the addition of 'e' (or 'er' or 'ern') does signal the voiced
consonant (as well as change in the pronunciation of the vowel).  The
'reverse dictionary' gives a long list, but here are a few examples:

     bath - bathe
     breath - breathe
     broth - brother
     cloth - clothe
     heath - heather
     lath - lathe, lather
     south - southern, southerly
     wreath - wreathe
     megalith - lithe
     moth - mother
     rath (Celtic earthwork) - rather
     sheath - sheathe
     sooth (obs. 'truth') - soothe
     teeth - teethe (cf. seethe)

There are a few anomalies:

     VOICED (without added 'e' or 'er')
     bequeath
     booth, tolbooth
     mouth (verb meaning 'speak exaggeratedly')
     smooth (adj.)
     with (same as 'wither'), and 'wherewith', herewith', etc.

     UNVOICED (with added 'e' or 'er')
     absinthe
     anther
     ether (compare voiced 'either')
     lethal, Lethe
     nepenthe
     panther

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 30 Jan 2010 05:44:35 -0500
From:    Brett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>

On 2010-01-30, at 2:33 AM, Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar =
wrote:

> I have come to notice a common preference in England for the spelling
> 'loath' over 'loth' (meaning 'disinclined').

The preference is international and historical. In fact, in the Corpus =
of Current American English, 'loath' is about 50 times more common than =
'loth' where in the British National Corpus, it's only about five times =
more common.

> Are 'loth' and 'loath' (as the adjective
> meaning 'disinclined') pronounced unvoiced in America?

Merriam-Webster's online dictionary gives both voice and unvoiced with =
voiceless listed first.

Best,
Brett

-----------------------
Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date:    Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:07:20 -0700
From:    Webmail bdespain <[log in to unmask]>

--0016e6d272f7abd6d7047e616e25

Edmond,
I have also noticed, at least in some regions of the U. S., that the "th" in
"bequeath", "booth", and "with" have lost their voice.  I think that the
loss of voice in the common preposition may come in stages where some people
let it vary depending on whether the next word begins with a vowel or not.
Bruce

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Brett Reynolds
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> On 2010-01-30, at 2:33 AM, Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
> wrote:
>
> > I have come to notice a common preference in England for the spelling
> > 'loath' over 'loth' (meaning 'disinclined').
>
> The preference is international and historical. In fact, in the Corpus of
> Current American English, 'loath' is about 50 times more common than
'loth'
> where in the British National Corpus, it's only about five times more
> common.
>
> > Are 'loth' and 'loath' (as the adjective
> > meaning 'disinclined') pronounced unvoiced in America?
>
> Merriam-Webster's online dictionary gives both voice and unvoiced with
> voiceless listed first.
>
> Best,
> Brett
>
> -----------------------
> Brett Reynolds
> English Language Centre
> Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada

> at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0016e6d272f7abd6d7047e616e25

quot;th&quot; in &quot;bequeath&quot;, &quot;booth&quot;, and &quot;with&qu=
ot; have lost their voice.=A0 I think that the loss of voice in the common =
preposition may come in stages where some people let it vary depending on w=
hether the next word begins with a vowel or not.=A0 </div>

; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">
nglish Grammar wrote:<br><br>&gt; I have come to notice a common preference=
 in England for the spelling<br>&gt; &#39;loath&#39; over &#39;loth&#39; (m=
eaning &#39;disinclined&#39;).<br>
orpus of Current American English, &#39;loath&#39; is about 50 times more c=
ommon than &#39;loth&#39; where in the British National Corpus, it&#39;s on=
ly about five times more common.<br>

djective<br>&gt; meaning &#39;disinclined&#39;) pronounced unvoiced in Amer=
and unvoiced with voiceless listed first.<br>
ish Language Centre<br>Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced =
mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a><br>
 list&#39;s web interface at:<br>=A0 =A0 <a href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.=
edu/archives/ateg.html" target=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archiv=
es/ateg.html</a><br>
and select &quot;Join or leave the list&quot;<br><br>Visit ATEG&#39;s web s=
ite at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D"_blank">http://ateg.org/</a><=
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0016e6d272f7abd6d7047e616e25--

End of ATEG Digest - 29 Jan 2010 to 30 Jan 2010 (#2010-10)