ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 08:38:00 -0700
Bloodmoney, by David Ignatius, c.2011

~~~~~

David,

One way to beat it .. I assume you write on a computer .. is to hit Control-F for 'find', insert 'had' in the box, and then look at all the words after the 'had's and decide if they are past tense verbs. If they are -- as are the four in the quote above (spent, disliked, loved, and pretended) -- delete the 'had's. Past tense verbs should not have the word 'had' in front of them. There is nothing the word 'had' can do for a past tense verb that the verb cannot do for itself.

When you come upon something like this quote from page 11, you will have a different problem.

"She was still in her thirties, still in middle school in the secret world, but one of her discoveries as she had grown older .. oops, clang. What's this? This is a disguised past-tense verb 'grew', which you tried to put 'had' in front of. But being an irregular past tense verb, it balked, and made you force the irregular past participle, giving you 'had grown' instead of 'grew'. It should read, "one of her discoveries as she grew older was that most things in life didn't [should read, don't] measure up to their promise."

When I come to a legitimate past perfect, I'll be back in touch. I hope Bloodmoney is as good as Body of Lies.

One of my standard illustrations of the past perfect is your "By the time they reached Amman, the sun had set in the Western hills". (By the time something happened, something else had already happened.) I always give you and Body of Lies credit.

.brad.18june11.