ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Alison Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:37:20 EDT
If the sentence on such standardized tests  reads:  The boy played with _____
truck, and the choices were  either his or their, of course the standardized
answer would be  his.  However, if the sentence were to read: The child played
 with ______ truck, and the choices were the same, I think then there would
be a question of gender/cultural bias in this assessment.

Hopefully more times than not, students will be  assessed authentically
through their writing and not by multiple  choice questions.  This will allow them
to show their knowledge  instead of limiting them to right/wrong answers that
engage low level thinking  skills.

Alison
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I  have ended up
where I needed to be. "
~ Kahlil Douglas  Adams