ATEG Archives

February 2014

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:48:25 -0800
Sorry about my sending troubles.  This should be readable.

From The Economist (Feb. 22):  "Indeed, the idea that [trade deals] will
not do much to help the economy is one excuse for Democrats undermining
their president."  I would have written "for Democrats' undermining their
president," but the possessive before gerunds seems to be getting rare in
both speech and writing.  I hear a lot of "That's no excuse for them
speaking rudely."  So in parsing such sentences, do we consider the -ing
words to be participles modifying the preceding noun?  How many teachers
out there still try to teach that gerunds are preceded by possessives?
Thanks.

Michael Kischner