ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:40:37 -0400
Nice example, Bruce.  It might be an interesting research project for a
graduate student to trace grammatical terms like "conjunctive adverb"
back to their origins.   This has been done for a number of terms.
David Mulroy debunks the widely held, at least among us linguists, idea
that the split infinitive prohibition is the fault of 18th c.
prescriptive grammarians, the best of whom were less prescriptive than
we like to credit them with.  It only goes back to the 1860s.  Arnold
Zwicky, whom I've cited before, traced the Possessive Antecedent
Prohibition back to its origins in the 1940s.  Of course, "noun" goes
back to "nomen" in Late Classical Latin grammars, who translate it from
Greek.  I'm curious where "conjunctive adverb" might fit into such a
chronology.

Herb