ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:55:33 -0500
Peter,
   I would venture that what we mean by words is not a simple definition,
but a whole lifetime of knowledge. From a cognitive perspective, the
meaning of any word is more encyclopedic than dictionary like. So to
explore the nature of "word" takes considerable time.
   The dictionary makers face this word class problem all the time, so a
quick look at a dictionary will tell us someone's judgement. If you
look at the OED, you can sometimes see what word class a word started
in and then how its meanings changed and grew. Many words, snow
included, will be listed as both noun and verb.
   A noun modifies a noun differently than an adjective does. Most
adjectives are gradeable. "A stony silence" means something like
"stonier than normal." >"A stone house" is different though. "A table
lamp" is a kind of lamp and a "lamp table" is a kind of table. We can't
say "your lamp is tabler than mine". When verb forms modify nouns, they
also have a different kind of meaning. "A stoning silence" is different
from a "stoned silence" which is different from "stony silence," and at
least some of that is carried in the grammar. The determiner system
helps ground the noun phrase within a discourse context. All of these
elements have an order of operations within the houn phrase. There's
even a comma rule that recognizes this: we put commas between
coordinate adjectives, not between an adjectivce and a noun modifier or
betweern a determinetr and an adjective.
   We can call them all adjectives, and I suppose this would be easier,
but it would be a terrible disservice and very misleading. It might be
like calling everything that flies a bird, which is fine until you want
to fly to Chicago.

Craig

Herb,