ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Jane Saral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:05:52 -0500
So I have been doing some reading on the terms epistemic and deontic, and I
understand them for the present and future, but for the past tense, I prefer
the following (found on Bartleby.com):
  Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–).  The Columbia Guide to Standard American
English.  1993.   may, might (*auxs.*)      For events in the present or
immediate future, use either *may* or *might* (*I may* [*might*] *decide to
go after all*), but for past time, most Standard users still prefer only *
might,* as in *Yesterday I might have decided to stay home,* not the
increasingly encountered *Yesterday I may have decided to stay
home.*Journalese is now peppered with
*may* where until recently *might* has been solidly entrenched. See also CAN
(1) <http://www.bartleby.com/68/95/1095.html>;
COULD<http://www.bartleby.com/68/27/1527.html>;
SEQUENCE OF TENSES <http://www.bartleby.com/68/97/5397.html>.

Jane Saral