ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:18:20 -0500
Bill,

How about "in that S" or "except that S"?  Those are the only other ones
I can think of at the moment.  The distribution of "that" has interested
me for some time, and there used to be a lot more possibilities, "after
that S", "because that S".  I think the head word had more of a
prepositional or adverbial function and the "that" was necessary to mark
the subordination, but as we get into Modern and Late Modern English,
the subordinating function gets subsumed by the head and the "that"
disappears.  "In that", "but that", and "except that" are relics left
over by this change.

Herb