ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:14:54 -0400
My question is about the context, because depending on the rest of the
sentence, both 1 and 2 could be fine.

"Both you and your students will discover," to me, implies something that
the teacher and students figure out together.  However - in the first
sentence, using YOU means (again, to me) that the two subjects discover
something no one knew before.  In the second, using THEY implies that
there's something the teacher knew that the students didn't.

As an example:

1.	Both you and your students will discover that YOU know about text
messaging syntax.
2.	Both you and your students will discover that THEY know more about
grammar than they realized.

See what I mean, there?  Or am I over-thinking this?

-patty

  _____

1.  Both you and your students will discover that YOU know . . .
2.  Both you and your students will discover that THEY know . . .

Or should I just re-work the thing?

Thanks,
John
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave
the list"