ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:52:29 -0400
Dear MJC,
I am so sorry --I must have overlooked this message.  I see,
though, from the comments here that my posting really was
misunderstood.  I have a very good knowledge of language
diversification and would certainly not confuse what I see
as a breakdown in formal English with the natural
development of dialects, etc.  I need to stress that these
are very different processes.  I realize that most linguists
and teachers are unacquainted with language acquisition
problems and with the level of language that is "naturally"
acquired.  The formal level of language associated with
literacy is not learned unconsciously.  The dismal formal-
level English skills (i.e., more complex structures of the
language, higher-level vocabulary) of native-speaker ESL
teachers directly affects the progress of ESL students in
the schools.
yvonne