SPEDNET Archives

September 2001

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Alex Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:16:52 -0400
On-Time Registration for Spring 02
        If you have not heard about changes in registration
procedures for the next semester you will. The purpose of this
communication is to make sure that you will breeze through these new
procedures. If you believe you are a special education pre-major or
major you need to be sure that is indicated on your DARS. I suggest
you all go and check your DARS to see if it has your correct status
indicated. If not, come in and complete a change of major form in 201
McGuffey and talk with Jean Sheran so we can be sure that your
intentions, your DARS, and our records are consistent by the time you
register.
        Note: On-Time Registration means you will receive
confirmation of classes when you register on-line. The timing of your
registration will be according to the number of hours you have earned
so that seniors will register first, etc. Note that your earned hours
do not include the hours you are taking this semester but only those
that you have already successfully completed.

First Student CEC Meeting
        CEC (Council for Exceptional Children) is the primary
umbrella organization for special educators, administrators, and
parents. An important part of professional citizenship is
participation in professional organizations.
        The first student CEC meeting of the year will be this coming
Tuesday, September 25, at 7:00 P.M. in McGuffey Room 372. Tom
Knestrict, a member of the EDP faculty teaching special education and
a long-time teacher of students with severe behavioral problems, will
give a practical talk on "Everything a New Special Education Teacher
Needs to Know About Classroom Discipline". Trust me, the first time
you cry as a teacher will not be because a student cannot master two
digit addition but because of frustrations around discipline.
        Come to this first gathering for the year of Student CEC,
meet the officers, hear about plans for the year, and hear and ask
questions of our expert on classroom discipline. And perhaps, have
some conversation and a cookie or two.

Attention Middle/Adolescent Reading and Math Methods Students for Spring 02
        When you take regular education methods for M/I and M/M
majors be sure to take them all during the same semester, along with
the special education methods and practicum.
        During the last SPEDNET, I asked everyone planning to take
middle or adolescent reading and math methods next semester to
contact Jean Sheran. Right now, one student has contacted Jean and
that means that particular student's name will be entered as eligible
to take the methods. At this point, I am assuming that there are no
other students.

Essential that You Peruse SPEDNET Updates
        Once again, I need to reiterate the importance of reading the
SPEDNET updates to be sure you get information important for your
program. This is fair warning that reading these announcements on
SPEDNET is essential for all special education pre-majors, majors,
and minors.  For example, in two months if a student subscribed to
SPEDNET comes in and tells me they were not able to register for
certain courses for Spring because they thought they were a major but
DARS said they weren't I will not take heroic efforts to accommodate
them since fair warning was provided (first item, above). Heroic
efforts are reserved only for those of you who follow all the rules
and dictums and yet still get zapped.

                        Support your Student CEC Group

Alex Thomas
Educational Psychology