ACM Archives

February 2014

ACM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kyle Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:23:58 -0500
Hi Everyone!

Thanks to everyone that came to the Linux workshop last week. I think it went really well and you guys should be familiar with how to do work in the Linux command line now.

Due to popular demand, the next workshop will be on GIT, a version control system. Version control is vital for doing any kind of large or long term project. It is vital for anything from your CSE 274 projects to your thesis paper. Some form of version control is used at every single software development company. Even for those of you who aren’t CSE/ECE majors, version control can still help back up your thesis papers, design documents, AUTOCAD drawings, or whatever other project files you use.

Git is a relatively new version control tool that was developed in 2005 by Linus Torvaldes (the same guy who developed the Linux kernel!). It is unique in that it is a distributed system rather than centralized and because of this it is very popular in the open source community (we will go over why at the workshop!).

Some of you may be more familiar with git because of the rise of GitHub, a website for storing your projects. GitHub has taken off as a platform for developing open source projects and is home to projects such as jQuery, the Django web development framework, and even reddit. I highly recommend making a GitHub account and using it for any large projects that you need to do for class and possibly work on some side projects as well. We will be using GitHub to some extent at the workshop.

The Git workshop will be on Thursday 2/27 at 8pm.

As always, there will be free pizza for everyone.

So make sure to come out and learn about git, eat some pizza, and possibly listen to another debate about Python between me and Brian.

Currently, the plan for the remaining workshops this semester will be every other Thursday and cover :

git
vim
Python
HTML5
Android

If there is something else you would like to have as a workshop on or would like to have the workshops more often (and possibly on different days), just let me know!

Also, as requested by John Shaver  - here is a picture of a penguin

Thanks and I hope to see you all next Thursday!

Kyle

PS: Sorry to anyone who received this twice. I sent it to both everyone from the first workshop and the ACM listserv. For those of you not on the ACM listserv, I will add you as soon as I remember where to go for that.