ADHS Archives

April 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jessy Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:41:27 -0700
Joe King:

For 19th century personal accounts, you could try the Library Company's
website (address below), which links to our online catalog. Searching
"temperance" yields about 450 hits. Offhand, I can recommend a couple of
titles:

Hosack, David, 1769-1835. Address delivered at the first anniversary of the
New York City Temperance Society / by David Hosack ; May 11, 1830. [New
York : s.n., 1830] 24 p. ; 21 cm. Contains "Confessions of a drunkard."
Rare Am 1830 Hosack 69369.O

and

Dutcher, George M., b. 1839. Disinthralled : a story of my life / by George
M. Dutcher ; a vivid portrayal of the evils of intemperance as exemplified
in the author's own remarkable career, together with many interesting
reminiscences of his six year's experience as a worker in the temperance
field. Hartford, Conn.: : Columbian Book Company, 1872. 276 p., [6] leaves
of plates : ill. ; 20 cm.
Rare 2 Wright 830 102080.D

(The second title purports to be autobiography, but is actually a work of
fiction -- definitely temperance rhetoric!)

I know there are others, and if you play around in the online catalog or
make a visit to the LCP, you will probably find more.

-- Jessy Randall

At 02:47 PM 4/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I am currently doing research on the rhetoric of the
>temperance movement. I am most interested in their use
>of rhetoric -- personal accounts of how drink affected
>the speaker or others. I would be most interested in
>20th Century information, but 19th century is good,
>too.
>
>Can anyone point me to any resources for such
>information?
>
>Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
>
>Joe King

Jessy Randall
Library Company of Philadelphia
1314 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
http://www.librarycompany.org