ADHS Archives

October 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dave Trippel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 23:43:22 -0500
Keith Sprunger, Assistant Prof. of History at Bethel College wrote in the Aug 1965 issue of The HISTORIAN (Vol XXVII, No 4.)
a 17 page article titled Cold Water Congressmen: The Congressional Temperance Society Before the Civil War.

Here's from pages 14 and 15

------------
"Temperance came back into style in the capital city. As Washingtonian Societies were being organized in 1842, Thomas Sewall, a medical doctor long active in temperance, was dramatically lecturing to large crowds on "The Pathology of Drunkenness." His talk was illustrated with eight large color drawings of the human stomach, nine times actual size, portraying a succession of alcohol-laden stomachs in all stages from normal health to the ravages of delirium tremens. To behold the sight was a fascinating and rather terrifying experience. The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal described the drawings as so lifelike that "the bloodvessels exhibited on the inflamed mucous coat really look as though they would bleed if roughly handled." 45 The combination of emotional. Washingtonian appeals and the scientific medical approach of Sewall was calculated to strike fear into the drunkard.
As members of Congress also watched the spectacle, some were noticeably shaken, including Thomas F. Marshall, well-known as a heavy drinker. After listening to Dr. Sewall's lecture and being overwhelmed by the evidence regarding the consequences of intemperance, Marshall in an emotional gesture solemnly walked forward to sign the teetotal pledge. Hardly an everyday occurence, the incident

45 Quoted in National Intelligencer (January 20, 1842), 1.

512

was voiced about with unusual interest. The National Intelligencer referred to it as "certainly one of the most interesting events which ever took place at any of temperance meetings of this metropolis. . ." 46 In the excitement of 1842 generated by Marshall's temperance conversion and Sewall's lectures, the Congressional Society was revived. This time, however, it took shape on total abstinence principles as the Congressional Total Abstinence Society.

There was a rush of meetings in the Capitol in January, February, and March of 1842, resulting in the reorganization of the society. 47    More than eighty members of Congress were added as members of the society and pledged abstinence. 48 George N. Briggs served as president. The old Congressional Society, Briggs recalled, had died of intemperance, holding the "pledge in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other"; but this time total abstinence would avoid that disaster. During those same weeks an Executive Temperance Society for members of the executive departments was also organized as a companion group to the Congressional Society. 49  This Executive group, under the leadership of Walter Forward, John Tyler's Secretary of the Treasury, held its meetings in the Treasury Department. Temperance was once again on the initiative. With this renewed interest temperance enthusiasm was at a high point, comparable to ten years before when the Congressional Society had first been organized. And 1842 was also year that Congress passed its law partially restricting navy spirit ration.

The rest is anticlimax. Enthusiasm dissipated the cause grew stale. Although temperance remained an important issue in the states for several years longer, it steadily lost ground in Washington. ...

46 January 11, 1842.

47 The "Constitution of the society is printed in the National Intelligencer (February 14, 1842), 1.

48 "Sixth Report" (1842), Permanent Temperance Documents, Vol II, 1856, n, 332.

513

So the Executive wasn't immune from this sort of bandwagoning either. I think Jackson was one of the first to serve no booze on occassion. I wonder how many past presidents were abstainers, at least in office.

Dave Trippel