ADHS Archives

April 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"K. Austin Kerr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:38:33 -0400
In general, I never open an attachment to an e-mail message from a person I
cannot identify.  This policy is one that experts in the computer industry
have advised me to follow.

You should be safe if you maintain anti-virus software.  My university has
a site license with one of the large vendors (http://www.mcafee.com/); my
computer at home came with Norton Anti-Virus which, for a small fee, one
can keep up to date very easily.

As we have all seen in the last few hours, viruses spread very
easily.  Everyone using a computer should stay on guard.

For links to anti-virus programs, see
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/article/0,aid,45984,00.asp

K. Austin Kerr
Professor of History, Ohio State University
http://people.history.ohio-state.edu/kerr.htm