ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gerald Groenewald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:52:30 +0200
Thanks for this wonderful quote! I do not know the exact provenance of it, but it is very much in keeping with the type of propaganda against the quick rise of London coffeehouses and the popularity of coffee in the 1660s and 1670s. In pamphlets like The Ale-wives complaint against the coffee-houses (1675) and The womens petition against coffee (1674) a common complaint against the use of coffee was that it effeminates men and makes them lose their sex drive. Hence claims like '[coffee] has so eunuched our husbands, and crippled our more kind gallants, that they are become as impotent as age, and as unfruitful as those deserts whence that unhappy berry is said to be brought', or, that it 'dries up the radical moisture to the present prejudice of the [coffee drinkers'] wives and future disadvantage of posterity'! Both these quotes I got from Steven Pincus' superb article '"Coffee politicians does create": Coffeehouses and Restoration political culture', Journal of Modern History 67 (1995), 807-34. The writer of this article argues that pamphlets like these were not written by women or ale-wives, but were in fact propaganda from the Anglican Royalists who saw coffeehouses as places of sedition. Worth a read and some reflection, I think!

Gerald Groenewald