ADHS Archives

May 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joseph Gusfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 10:52:33 -0700
May 30,1995
        In re david's messages about brian harrison's work Drink
 and the Victorians. Unfortunately it was published after Symbolic
Crusade.  I had been aware of the British movement through Frances
Willard's relation to Lady Somerset.What Harrison did for me later was
both his model of a truly thorough historian as compared to my thin study
and, especially, his conception of the Temperance movement as part of the
issue ofproper and improper leisure    . This has been very useful in my
thinking about the question of alternative cultures a la Gramsci and the
role of drink in it.Several of my more recent work, including a
forthcoming book, lean heavily on this conception. Also see his later
collection of papers, several of which do deal with drinking and with
leisure use-Peaceable Kingdom.
                                                Joe Gusfield