ADHS Archives

January 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:53:32 -0500
Dear list members,

The most recent issue of the Social History of Alcohol and Drugs: An
Interdisciplinary Journal has gone to press.  This is the Fall, 2006 issue,
and it was delayed owing to some minor technical glitches.  It will be
mailed out to ADHS members as soon as it is completed.

I have posted the table of contents below.

The full contents of this issue will be posted on line after roughly one
year, in this case, in the Fall of 2007.  This will be the practice of the
journal from now on.  Of course, subscribers to SHAD (who are also members
of the ADHS) get a hard copy in the mail well before that.

I apologize for any wonky formatting on the information that follows

Best

Dan Malleck
The Social History of Alcohol and Drugs
An Interdisciplinary Journal
Volume 21, No. 1 (Fall, 2006)

Special issue on smoking and tobacco

Contents

Editor’s note 4

Essays
“Such a smoking nation as this I never saw...”: Smoking, Nationalism, and
Manliness in Nineteenth-Century Hungary.
Alexander Maxwell 6

The Canadian Cigar and Tobacco Journal in the Forties: A Remembrance
Cheryl Krasnick Warsh 23

Red Star/Black Lungs: Anti-Tobacco Campaigns in Twentieth-Century Russia.
Tricia Starks 50

“Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fire”: Tobacco Use and the Construction of
the Canadian Citizen, 1890-1930.
Sharon Anne Cook 69

Book Reviews
David W. Gutzke. Pubs and Progressives: Reinventing the Public House in
England, 1896—1960.
Reviewed by James Quan Nicholls. 96
Jack S. Blocker, Jr., David M. Fahey and Ian R. Tyrell, editors. Alcohol
and Temperance in Modern History: An International Encyclopedia.
Reviewed by Sarah W. Tracy. 98
Katherine Drowne. Spirits of Defiance: National Prohibition and Jazz Age
Literature, 1920-1933.
Reviewed by Dan Malleck. 100
David F. Musto and Pamela Korsmeyer, The Quest for Drug Control: Politics
and Federal Policy in a Period of Increasing Substance Abuse, 1963-1981.
Reviewed by David T. Courtwright. 102
Catherine Carstairs. Jailed for Possession: Illegal Drug Use, Regulation,
and Power in Canada, 1920-1961
Reviewed by Adam Jacobs. 104
Peter Clark. British Clubs and Societies, 1580-1800: The Origins of an
Associational World.
Reviewed by Charles C. Ludington. 106

Announcements and Information 109

Dan Malleck, PhD
Editor-in-chief, Social History of Alcohol and Drugs: An Interdisciplinary
Journal
http://historyofalcoholanddrugs.typepad.com