ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dave Trippel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:37:33 -0600
My favorite Shoemaker quote is from "How to Become a Christian", Harper & Row, 1953, Chapter 8 "Christian Witness" first paragraph.

"Most people owe their Christian faith, especially when it becomes sharp and effective, to other persons. Not long ago I was listening to a man in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting give his own story. He had been a proud materialist[*], and it took a long time for him to get the "spiritual" angle of A. A. or to admit that God had anything to do with recovery. He took the "program" and went along well for some months. Then he was asked to lead a meeting, and did it. Afterwards a dumply little English seaman who was in the meeting came up to him and said, "You didn't say anything about God in the meeting." He made some excuse. The Britisher took him by the lapels and said, "You are evading Him!" He got so much under conviction from this that he went on another spree, which showed how shallow was his first commitment. But when he came out of it, his pride was broken. He had to admit that he needed God, that God and God alone had the answer for him. The word of that fat little Englishman had done it. Thank God for people with that kind of simple, friendly courage!"

*Shomaker was hyper-concerned, even in this book, about Communism vs Christianity and most likely considered Joe McCarthy a gift from God.

It is clear the early AA lingo involved being "cured" but not without working the ongoing steps (which ARE very Christian). But doesn't this suggest it could also be considered they were not "cured" but only conditionally sober? This may shock many, but I have seen it written where AA is labeled "the foremost moderation program" because of the gross conditionality of program sobriety (such as that stated in the above quote from Shomaker) - and especially in recent times with so much 'diseased' 'one-day-at-a-timism'. Is it not suggested that if people don't like the conditions of AA sobriety that they might try some controlled drinking? Again a moderation connection. For those that keep coming back, might one even consider it an immoderation program - because if you 'slip', drinking is bad, and who knows what will happen tomorrow?

I would be most interested in an encyclopedia on the WOD that reaches back (eg Thomann, "Colonial Liquor Laws", 1893) and spreads wide (eg Smith and Snake, "One Nation Under God", 1996) and primarily revolves around the legitimate controversies surrounding the entrenched self justifying service industries of the AA/Treatment Cartel suppressing (?) the demand side and the Enforcement/Judicial Cartel suppressing (?) the supply side.

The detailed Christian roots (and offshoots - McGoldrick, Cain, eg) of AA are not trivial, but in any encyclopedia it's all a question of balance due to limited space. For instance, I previewed Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History for 30 days online. It's a good attempt, but just too mainstream in my opinion. Where is reference to Calvin Colton's Protestant Jesuitism? Lawrence's Plain Thoughts on Secret Societies? The bad side of Lyman Beecher (inciting arson)? What the IOGT thinks of AA?

I'll close with an answer to the last question.

Midsommar Bladdet, Svenskarnas Dag, Sunday, June 17, 1956, p. 9, [this is an annual souvenir magazine for Swedish Day in Suburban Chicago published by the IOGT in Chicago - some English some Swedish] (I've got almost the complete run from 1916 to 1956 and it's almost all in Swedish which I don't know, so if someone wants to borrow it or knows a good home for it, feel free to let me know.)

"Why Are People Good Templars?

Because we hate drinking, of course. But why hate drinking? Why not be broadminded? ... [snip]...if there was a way to stop it at the right time, then there would not be four million alcoholics. ...[snip] ... of course, these represent only a small percentage of those who drink. Just one in fourteen, that is all. And then there is the one in ten that is still working, but drinking heavy. But all the rest know how to stop, at lease, most of the time. And we have Alcholics Anonymous to reassure us. They often save drunks. The A.A.'s say it's o.k. to drink if you can take it. But if you find you are one of those who can't control it, Well, when you have realized that then you have to stop! The A.A.s will help you. After your nevous system has become used to the narcotic effects of alcohol, they will pray with you and watch over you. They do! About one in every thousand alcoholics are reclaimed. At least until some hospitable person forces "just one little drink" on them. That is enough to start them off again. But the A.A.s are patient. The trouble is, not all drunks want to be saved. It takes too much will power. Good Templars say: "Prevention is better than cure. There is no need for drinking, so let us have total abstinence. ... etc..."

Dave Trippel

PS There is a little joke right after the above article. "1st Farmer: Ye goin' courtin' with a lantern? I never took one. 2nd farmer: Yeah, and look what y'got!" LOL