ADHS Archives

June 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gretchen Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:58:32 -0400
Allow me to bring Mexico into the discussion, which bears similarities
with other cases, but also may be a bit more complex.  In my
dissertation, "Sober Revolutionaries: Class, Gender, and Ethnicity in
the National and Sonoran Anti-Alcohol Campaigns in Mexico, 1910-1940,"
(yet to be finished!) I have found that politicians and temperance
reformers most wanted to keep the generic "working-class" from an
over-consumption of alcohol.  Surprisingly, they were less concerned
with race (in this case, the indigenous) although they also assumed
that indios had a propensity for alcoholism.  Although there are some
people of African descent in Mexico, they do not show up at all in the
literature I examined (in part because intellectuals at the time could
not really conceive of Mexicans being anything more than a combination
of Spanish and indigenous heritage).  Nor do Asian Mexicans (of which
there was a sizeable population in the north) show up at all in
official temperance literature, although there were some arrested for
drinking-related crimes.  However, there were extensive anti-opium
campaigns going on at the same time, of which the Chinese were almost
the sole target.

Gretchen Pierce
Adjunct Instructor
Indiana University Northwest