ADHS Archives

June 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frederick Rotgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 18:03:16 EDT
On another list (ADDICT-L) we have been sporadically discussing the origin in
the alcohol/other drug treatment world of the term "enabling" (noun,
"enabler"). There has been one post attributing it to a Father Joseph
Kellerman who purportedly wrote a pamphlet in the 1970s on "denial" as an
obstacle to treatment. I wonder if anyone on this list has run across any
references to this term in their readings at any earlier date. It does not
appear to have originated in any of the early AA literature, and so appears to
be more recent. One of the ADDICT-L people attributed to the biblical story
about two brothers Cain an'Abel :-). Any thoughts?

Fred

Fred Rotgers, Psy.D.
Center of Alcohol Studies
Rutgers University