ADHS Archives

August 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:47:49 +0200
Bradley -- Publicans among Irish-Americans were also central in the community's political life.  There's the urban legend about someone bursting into the council chamber in Chicago around 1900 and shouting, "Alderman, your tavern is on fire!", thus emptying much of the room....
    I'm passing this along to a couple of friends who may have something more directly related to your topic, but in the meantime I thought you might enjoy the following excerpt from Kevin C Kearns, Dublin Pub Lore and Life -- the Publican's Role and Status.  Robin Room

http://dublin.local.ie/content/26188.shmtl/history/social_history