ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Maria Swora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:07:54 -0800
Ron,

Speaking as a sociocultural anthropologist and an MPH, I can sum up the difference this way.  Public health, while not medicine, is aligned with medicine and therefore is very interventionist.  Cultural anthropology is NOT interventionist, and as Heath himself wrote, likes to position itself as a "gadfly" annoyingly questioning everyone's  presuppostions.  I think that has lessened in recent years as anthropology has moved away from structuralism, and is in some kind of post-poststructuralist period.  Does sociology have such theoretical fads?  I find myself rolling my eyes at the table of contents of many anthropology journals.  By the way, I've published five papers, and only one in an Anthropology journal.  The rest are in multidisciplinary journals like Narrative Inquiry, and Mental Health, Religion, and Culture.

My greatest interest is in the anthropology of religion and spirituality.

Nazdrowia

Maria

Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
David: The tendency for cultural anthropology to view alcohol as a normal
and interesting functional part of a cultural system and for public health
to view it, instead, as a foreign and pernicious agent is a longstanding
strain in social science perspectives on alcohol. The memorable place in
the literature where the public health (problem maximizers) perspective
duked it out with the anthropological (problem minimizers) perspective was
an exchange between Robin R. and Dwight Heath:

1. Room, R., "Alcohol and Ethnography: A Case of Problem Deflation,"
Current Anthropology 25:169-178, 1984 -- which is available at
http://www.bks.no/room.htm.

2. Heath, D B 1984 Reply to Room. Current Anthropology 25(2):180-181.

Robin made frequent reference to Heath's work in his paper.

Ron