ADHS Archives

April 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:26:43 +0200
Joe --
    Try Joan Silverman, "I'll Never Touch another Drop": Images of Alcoholism and Temperance in American Popular Culture 1874-1919.  PhD dissertation, New York University, 1979.
    My impression is that "experience lecturers" are more a 19th than a 20th century phenomenon in the temperance movement.  By the 20th century saving the drunk by personal testimony is no longer high on the movement's agenda (except for the city mission/Salvation Army end of the movement). The "temperance tale" disappears into the Alcoholics Anonymous "drunkalog" -- AA's Big Book, in its newsletter, the Grapevine, and many other offshoots are full of personal accounts. Other personal accounts can be found in the large modern popular literature -- in the Recovery/Self-Help section of your local bookstore.  There is a large literature of qualitative PhD dissertations on AA and its offshoots, which is likely to have relevant quotes.
    For representations of alcoholism/drunkenness in American movies, see:
    Denise Herd, Ideology, melodrama, and the changing role of alcohol problems in American films, Contemporary Drug Problems 13:213-247, 1986 (take a look at the articles in CDP 15(2), 1988, too).
    Robin Room, Alcoholism and AA in American films, 1945-1962: the party ends for the "wet generations" Journal of Styudies on Alcohol 50:368-383, 1989.
    Norman Denzin, Hollywood Shot by Shot, NY: Aldine de Gruyter, 1991.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to access the ATHG archives successfully?
GETPOST ATHG LOG9904 doesn't seem to work the system doesn't recognize LOG9904.
            -- Robin