ADHS Archives

June 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 10:32:04 -0700
David,

You got the region right, but Kettil was actually Finnish, not Swedish!

The group's full name is "The Kettil Bruun Society for Social and
Epidemiological Research on Alcohol."  Its by-laws state:

"The objectives of the Society will be [to] promote social and
epidemiological research on alcohol and to foster a comparative
understanding of the social aspects of alcohol use and alcohol
problems.  The society will also promote the spirit of international
co-operation among and through its members."

I'm a member but beyond the above, things get a little fuzzy for me.
The KBS grew out of the Epidemiology Section of the ICAA, but the ICAA
still has an epidemiology subgroup--and, anyhow, the ICAA has been
joined by the ICADD in the international addictions organizations
playing field.  We need Robin Room to explain the intricacies of this
history.

The group does have a strong historical sensibility, fostered in part
by the fact that Robin edits the journal *Contemporary Drug Problems*
and CDP has become a semi-official outlet for KBS-related papers.  Or
maybe it's the official organ by now.  Again, we'll have to ask Robin.

Ron Roizen