ADHS Archives

August 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Evan P. Haefeli" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 14:07:24 -0400
        Your paper project sounds fascinating to me, I'm actually
interested in similar issues in the colonial Americas. Peter Mancall has
just come out with a book on drinking among Native Americans in North
America called "Deadly Medicine" by Cornell UP which I haven't finished
reading, but it thoroughly convers all the colonial drinking literature
for the British colonies as well as New France and New Spain, and seems
to have a good command of current medical ideas on alcoholism, etc.,
especially as they relate to Native Americans which would be an
interesting counterpoint to your discussion of English views of others'
drinking, as the epithets they throw at Amerindian drinking are very
revealing.
        I'd be very interested to see a copy of this paper, if you'd care
to have an outside reader, anytime.
        Yours,
        Evan Haefeli
        Dept. of History