ADHS Archives

May 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jared Lobdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:17:17 +0000
Michie Hesselbrock (Zachs Professor of Social Work at UConn) wrote the review of the book This Strange Illness: Alcoholism and Bill W, in the May 2005 issue of Addiction, not the book itself, which (as Maria knows and John French remarked) is by me (Jared C. Lobdell).  I haven't seen Professor Hesselbrock's review yet, though Aldine (now Transaction) will doubtless send a copy to me.  The Amazon.com review by L Cama, though praising the book as well-written, seems not to realize that the subject is the view of alcoholism as "this strange illness of mind, body, and spirit" taken by Bill W, and that it presents a history of Bill W and "alcoholism" before Bill W, a scientific research programme (Lakatosian sense) undertaken to determine why his "treatment" could be expected to work, given present understanding of mind, body, and spirit, with a chapter on the 12-Step "treatment" and one on the mechanics (so to speak) of the fellowship (koinonia) he established -- and a chapter more or less on future research.  A second book, tentatively entitled Of Mind, Body, and Spirit: Chapters on Alcoholism and AA, will take up some of the points L Cama thinks should be in the present book -- but the present book is over 400 pages as it is.  I certainly hope to see Professor Hesselbrock's review soon, albeit her interests may be somewhat different from mine-- Jared Lobdell

Ron, Hesselbrock is a pseudonym, I think.  I'm pretty sure I know who wrote it (and would like to read it myself).  Try your question on the AA history list.

Maria

PS:  Can one make a living as an independent scholar?

Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Anybody got a postable copy of this – or care to summarize?  Thanks.  Ron

1. HESSELBROCK M.
This strange illness: alcoholism and bill w.
Addiction 2005;100:719-20.

Maria G. Swora, Ph.D. MPH
Department of Sociology
Benedictine College