ADHS Archives

March 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:33:20 -1000
I thought your presentation of the "Jellinek is a fraud" and Ron Roizen
comments thereon did a great service. One of your members frequently
comments about my work by disparaging it in terms of "letters from
California" (where I no longer reside), the work of a "hobbyist." and his on
the sly comments to the history lovers moderator (now deceased) that my work
lacked integrity. I thought Roizen's carefully worded comments about Jellink
presented a perspicacious thought or two about those who labor in the
vineyard and stir up some knowledge and activity. And probably a good deal
of jealousy. I'm not ashamed of my Stanford AB and JD degrees or of my Phi
Beta Kappa key or my editorship of the Stanford Law Review. My
qualifications in researching and writing on A.A. history have far more to
do with 16 years of hard work and a great deal of personal experience in
A.A. itself. But I would add  that, after many years of ad hominem attacks
on my work and diligent efforts to exclude me from shining fields of
scholarly conferences, your sharp-tongued member finally conceded that he
had really failed to look into the whole Akron A.A. fellowship scene
"because of the cost of traveling from the East Coast to Akron" or words to
that effect. Hardly an adequate justification for twenty-five years of
distorted history. I was very pleased that I was invited to join ADHS after
my cv and works were reviewed; but I'd like to think my contributions-often
posted on your site-are recognized for what they have unearthed and enabled
others to learn rather than having been being rejected as "hobby" work
because they emanated from an old alcoholic lawyer than from a slightly
younger alcoholic Ivy League Ph.D. I don't think Thomas Alva Edison, George
Washington Carver, or Fulton and his Steamboats were ignored or ridiculed
for lack of an Ivy League degree. Or for their failure to study engineering
or agriculture at an esteemed university.  In fact, with my limited
knowledge of Stanford, I could verify that it was much more what Sandra Day
O'Connor did on the Supreme Court and what David Packard did at HP than what
either studied at Stanford that won them a modicum of respect.  Why all this
palaver? Just to suggest that judgments about research and scholarship ought
to be based on their veracity, thoroughness, documentation, and value as
building blocks rather than on what laboratory was involved at the outset
when the researcher acquired his or her thinking abilities. Cheers. Richard
Gordon Burns, J.D. (otherwise known as Dick B.)

  _____