ADHS Archives

February 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Virginia Berridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:57:09 +0000
Dear David,
This book sounds very interesting .
Could I use this opportunity to alert the group to a project I have
just started at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine as
part of the Joseph Rowntree Foundations drug and alcohol initiative?
The project is ' Temperance; history, current and future alcohol
policy'.
We ( myself and a RA) intend to draw out key themes from temperance
history which are of relevance to current policy development in the UK.
The initial work is based on a literature review,primarily of the
secondary literature  and then there will be a series of interviews with
key players today.The end product will be a report and other
publications.
This is an exciting project and I would like the help of members of the
mailing list if they are willing.
Would members send me their 10 top readings on alcohol history? Here I
mean works by current or near contemporary authors- not primary
sources.Alcohol rather than temperance ;I would like to range widely to
pull in the full field  rather than just stick to the history of
temperance perse.I am interested in the international role of temperance
and more recent alcohol networks as well as the UK,although the JRF
focus is UK only.
My e mail address is [log in to unmask] Contributions will
be welcome and acknowledged.

Regards,
Virginia Berridge

Virginia Berridge
Professor of History
Public and Environmental Health Research Unit
Department of Public Health and Policy
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street
London WC1E 7HT
Tel:  0207 7927 - 2269
Fax: 0207 7637 - 3238
http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/history

>>> [log in to unmask] 16/02/2004 17:05:50 >>>

Just received a paperback copy of Ann-Marie E. Szymanski (University
of
Oklahoma/political science), Pathways to Prohibition: Radicals,
Moderates
and Social Movement Outcomes (Duke UP, 2003). Writing from a social
movement theory perspective, she emphasizes that a locally based,
moderate
strategy ("local gradualism") often is the most effective strategy in
the
American context.