FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Bowal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:35:51 -0700
Michael, I wish I could live up to the profundity and lucidity of which you have accused me.  I did not mean to suggest any cause and effect (but I'll take credit if you find some).

Ginny was right about my simpler point.  She referred to US employer-paid health care costs as being disadvantageous to US competitiveness, and transferring that to single payer (govt) would put US business on (I think her words were) "the same footing" with other comparable countries.

I wanted to add that the other OECD members offering public universal health care tax their corporations to help pay for same.  They also seriously limit employer prerogative to discharge employees.  Without judging the morality (although I would prefer to live in a society with both) of public universal health care and minimal employee security (cause, or notice/pay in lieu where there is no cause for discharge), I suspect employment-at-will is a huge economic advantage for US employers (perhaps offsetting health care costs).  There may have even been some studies on that.  I am aware that 'at will' has been whittled down by exceptions, contracts, and some employers don't practice it in its harshest form, but it remains the starting point.

Employment at will seems very efficient.  Our cause/notice system begets much uncertainty which, in turn, fosters litigation or palpable employer generosity to avoid litigation.  Few employers fire for cause (even in the most egregious cases where they might be able to prove it), preferring to buy out the employee.  In some countries, employers can scarcely buy out the weakest employees and have foisted upon them public costs of general income support.  That extra employer cost has to be absorbed somewhere.

Cheers,
Peter Bowal