FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Henry Lowenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:34:36 -0500
Of course, there is one state in the U.S. that is no longer pure "Employment-At-Will."  Its one of those great test questions for students in Business Employment Law Class.  The state is Montana, which requires "just cause" for any termination.   See:  Montana Wrongful Discharge From Employment Act of 1987,
Montana Code Ann. 39-2-901.   I am told there are similar laws in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands which are, of course, not states.    All of these are certainly very small labor markets and its been a long time since I looked back to see how they are working.   These laws are quite mild compared to what our colleagues have referenced with the labor laws in Europe and elsewhere.

Henry

Henry Lowenstein, PhD
Professor of Management and Law
E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC  29528-6054  USA
(843) 349-2827   Office