OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2022 19:10:56 -0400
I did something a little different today...other than leaving my camera in
the car because the battery was dead...ugh...AAANYhew, I decided to walk
the boardwalk clockwise then anticlockwise and make two lists to see what
the difference as far as time and weather changes, temperature etc..
affected the birds seen/heard.

Everything seemed to be about the same until I got to the right side of the
pond on the boardwalk, and then all of a sudden it was like ten species of
Warblers just fell from the tree above me... basically the Warblers that
are different between the two lists were the ones that just dropped right
there.

Highlights:
Blue-winged and Gold-winged Warbler within feet of each other, 5 male
Scarlet Tanagers on the same tree, one was within 20 feet of me and a group
of Amish...and I had bemused to Charles Bombaci when he reported that the
Protonotaries we're back, that they would be here a month later...and
almost to the day, one showed up... Don't know if he's going to stay
yet...A Lincoln Sparrow was also seen, but not by me...and the Chats are
starting to come back.  I can hear them calling out in the field behind the
pond.

Anyhew, lists are below for those interested.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
May 7, 2022 7:49 AM - 9:41 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.62 mile(s)
49 species

Canada Goose 4
Wood Duck 1
Ring-necked Pheasant 1
Mourning Dove 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Red-headed Woodpecker 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 20
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4
House Wren 5
European Starling 7
Gray Catbird 2
Brown Thrasher 1
Veery 1
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 2
American Goldfinch 9
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 5
White-throated Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 8
Eastern Towhee 5
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Brown-headed Cowbird 6
Common Grackle 5
Ovenbird 2
Prothonotary Warbler 1
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 3
Palm Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Scarlet Tanager 6
Northern Cardinal 4

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
May 7, 2022 9:42 AM - 11:59 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.24 mile(s)
60 species