OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:44:57 -0400
I'm posting a little early today as conditions are great for lake watching.
There are evidently a lot of fish near the surface in this area.  At one
time this morning I counted six individual feeding flocks of birds.
Bonaparte's gulls are the dominant species in these flocks, but I am also
seeing lots of loons and grebes.  I also had one pomarine jaeger attracted
to one of the larger feeding flocks.  Lots of stuff to look through.  The
Perry Park overlook might be worth checking as it has produced a lot of
jaegers in the past.

Also of note is there has been a light but steady stream of Bonaparte's
heading east this morning.  Earlier this morning I found a first year
Franklin's and an adult little gull.  So there are some good gulls around.
Also of interest was a peregrine falcon out over the lake harassing birds.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
October 30, 2011, 730-930
Weather-partly sunny
Winds- S 5, Temp- 34-36 F
Barometer- 30.10-30.11,
Humidity-88-86, Dew point- 31-33
Waves- <1 feet, Flight direction- loons, grebes, gulls east, waterfowl west

Canada goose   1
Mallard   7
Bufflehead   2
Red-breasted merganser 82