OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cory Chiappone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cory Chiappone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:59:40 -0400
observations about the current shorebirds being flagged:

As you may or may not know I now review Geauga and Lake Counties on eBird,
Vic Fazio still does review for the entire state but not as much as he had
in the past. Jen Brumfield also reviews Lake county with me as well as
other lakeside counties and scattered counties throughout the state, and
there are other reviewers in other regions of the state. Also there are
some counties that do not have a designated reviewer, so with more people
involved in certain areas this is why you may have noticed a variation of
when certain records get "confirmed" before others, it depends on when each
individual gets to them.

Since I only review 2 counties I asked Vic to adjust the threshold for
flagging (high counts and dates) which had been less stringent due to past
eBird usage and how much one person could keep up with. Vic has a program
that he ran for each species that adjusted its threshold based on past
eBird submissions. He said I could adjust them as some may not reflect
today's observations, species fluctuations, and more/ qualified observers.

So a flagged record does not necessarily mean it is as unusual as it had
been in the past (at least in Lake and Geauga Counties). For instance Matt
reported 100 Cliff Swallows breeding on the bridge at Headwaters Park in
Geauga County this summer which was flagged, although for this spot it is
not unusual, that was the only checklist submitted for Headwaters Park
during the breeding season. So with so few relevant observations for Cliff
Swallows I left the filter in place to catch mistakes such as entering a
count in the wrong column, new birders misidentifying Barn Swallows, or
when entering 10 hitting the 0 twice.

 Also I believe some species could be left flagged when there are similar
species to ensure accuracy such as with Ross's Geese which look similar to
Snow Geese and hybrids do occur.

 Lastly it is always great to include photos with your checklists even when
not flagged, as the photo can benefit eBird in multiple ways.

 Thanks,

 Cory "Chia"

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>