OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2021 19:24:22 -0400
For a change of pace, I went northeast, to several spots in Morrow Co.  My
focus was on Gleeson wetland preserve and Mt.Gilead State Park, and both
were fairly birdy.  Gleeson is basically an old farm reverting to wetland
and swamp,  while the State Park is forested ravines around one of the
tributaries of the Olentangy River (Whetstone Creek).  But when the heat
kicked in around 11:00, everything went torpid.  Unfortunately, I didn't
hear about the Black-mecked Stilt in nearby Kokosing Lake until I was back
home.  Still, the days list included:

Sandhill Cranes - a pair were feeding a field next to Gleeson in the early
morning
Red-shouldered Hawk - an adult was calling & soaring over Mt.Gilead lake
Red-headed Woodpeckers - 1 was calling around Mt Gilead lake
AlderFlycatcher - 1 was calling along the Wet Meadow Trail in Gleeson
(along with loads of Willow Flycatchers)
White-eyedVireo - 1 was singing around the upper part of Mt.Gilead lake
Chestnut-sidedWarbler - 1 was singing along the meadow edge at Gleeson
(along with a ton of Yellow Warblers)
Redstarts - at least 2 were singing in the forested ravines of Mt.Gilead
State Park
Hooded Warblers - 5 were singing in different parts of the forested ravines
at mt. Gilead SP
Canada Warbler - 1 was singing in a tangle along the upper lake shore at Mt
Gilead SP
ScarletTanagers - singing males were at both Gleeson & Mt.Gilead SP
Yellow-br.Chats - 3 were singing in the overgrown meadows of Gleeson, often
out in the open
SwampSparrow - Gleeson looks good for these, with at least 4 singing in the
marshes there