OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2020 16:17:21 -0400
Greetings!

I know I keep saying it...but Lawrence Woods in Hardin County is just plain
CRAZY. Take today for an example...I walk up the boardwalk to the pond and
an AMERICAN BITTERN was on the boardwalk...right in front of me. It was
just far enough that I didn't see it first. It took off and flew just to
the back of the pond.  I looked there I thought it went, and got a Green
Heron...so of course I started second guessing what I saw...then I looked
along the back edge of the pond, and there it was. :-)  I was able to get a
couple of shots through the button bushes.

Also it appears that a couple of Northern Waterthrushes are establishing
territories on opposite corners of the pond. (I don't think I have ever had
Waterthrushes nest there.)

My goal for Lawrence Woods is 100 species for the year by the middle of
May. This year I am at 105 for the year, and 91  for just the month of
May...I'm thinking with the remaining typical species that I haven't seen
yet, I might reach 100 species IN May. I'm still waiting on the breeding
birds like Humming Birds, Cerulean Warbler, Acadian Flycatcher, Eastern
Kingbird,  and the later migrants warblers like Blackpoll, Canada,
Mourning, and Connecticut. There might also be a wondering Prothonotary
that pops up...but with the Watrethrushes guarding the pond, I doubt it
will want to stay.

I did get a singing Bobolink a couple of days ago, but I haven't seen it
since...maybe it was a scout??.

Anyhew,  My advise as always it to get there in the morning (to escape the
kids), and go slow.....and look up! :-D

Today's list is below,  there is a picture of the Bittern on eBird...and
I'll probably post it on Facebook later.
Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
May 11, 2020 8:52 AM - 12:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.25 mile(s)
64 species