OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2019 22:06:43 -0500
Bob,

I am sure that there are thousands of photos better than the 300 that I
took of the Limpkin at Ottawa NWR, Ohio. Looking over some of them, I have
images of perhaps a half-dozen different molluscs that it ate while I was
observing it. To me, they all appear to be shaped like the snail on this
page on the iNaturalist website:

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/82170-Pleuroceridae

I also have photos of the Limpkin probing into two different areas for
these snails, and hammering on them on the ice (in one photo the snail is
seen flying away after being whacked). Also, at one point, the Limpkin
consumed a chunk of ice, also by whacking it on the icy surface of the
pond.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: [log in to unmask]