OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:24:47 -0400
I stopped at this MetroPark northwest of Dublin to see what was still
singing, and found a fair bit of activity in the morning before the heat
really hit.  I birded all around the North Multi-purpose Trail loop, as
well as down the Ironweed trail to McKitrick Woods.  Most of the grassland
species were in the expansive grassland north of the windmill, but the
forest blocks south of there also held a good diversity of birds.  Notables
included:

Flycatchers - Wood Pewess were in many locations around the woodlots, and
2-3 Willows were still calling out in the fields. E.Kingbirds were at
several different field locations.
Swallows - small numbers of Barns, Trees, and Purple Martins were over most
of the fields
Vireos - nothing but Red-eyed, but they were common in the woodlots
Thrushes - the only Wood Thrush was 1 down in McKitrick Woods
Warblers - nothing but Common Yellowthroats, but they were indeed common
Tanager - 1 Summer was singing in McKitrick Woods
Orioles - a male Orchard was just south of McKitrick Woods
Bobolinks - 5-6 birds still around the north fields, including 1
Spring-plumaged male
E.Meadowlarks - 4-5 scattered over the northern grasslands
Henslow'sSparrows - at least 4 were still singing along the north limb of
the Multipurpose Trail