OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 00:07:17 -0400
Hi,

I decided to bite the bullet and go through the work of uploading all the
pictures of the myiarchus sp flycatcher.  They are on my flickr feed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haans42/

I have big issues with photo ID because people only look at the pictures
and tend to get into the minutia.  Let me attempt to head a bit of that off
by saying the bird is much darker and more colorful in the pictures because
I used my standard photo settings.  This means under exposing by  0.3 to
0.7 (Olympus scale) because I later adjust levels and saturation to  get a
more true to life image.  In this case none of these photos have had that
done.  Also the bird is in deep shade and it was mostly cloudy with the sun
only coming out occasionally. All of that said I know these details will be
ignored by 98% of the people who make a call based upon these photos.

They will also ignore my observation that this bird appeared smaller than a
Great Crested.  As well as the odd behavior it has exhibited over the
several times I have seen it.  That is coming low in the trees

So far people sending  me off list email favor Ash-throated.  This is
mostly from people out west who have extensive experience with that species.

I am very much hoping that someone with extensive experience with myiarchus
species will weigh in on this bird and take into account my observations.
the exposure value,  and not just the photos as presented.

I find  things problematic with Ash-throated but these only appear in a few
images.   The most obvious is that on one or two pictures the tertial edges
appear to be highly contrasting. But in other pictures they do not.  In
some pictures you can see some paleness at the base of the bill.  But in
the best images this is not the case at all.

One last thing.  If someone tries to call this an Ash-throatedXGreat
Crested hybrid I will find them in real life and make their life miserable.
 Please don't go there. :-)