OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:17:48 +0000
I was glad to find Wahkeena NR open again. They have made some of the trails one-way loops and you now exit out the drive that used to be gated off which is nice b/c it was a nasty blind left turn to go out the entrance.
The pond over which the new/repaired boardwalk is v low and overgrown. I had an active juvenile Com YT there whose ID threw me for a second. A YB Cuckoo was calling by the big pond but I couldn't get a look at it. A few Wood Thrushes were singing as well as Peewees. Lots of Catbirds & Robins incl several juvenile Robins but generally, pretty quiet.
Clear Creek MP was also v quiet. Hemlock creek (not sure if that's its name but the small creek that runs along the Hemlock Trail) is quite low. I heard Scarlet Tanager & BT Green Warbler.
At Lk Logan, I saw a Green Heron in flight then spooked another at the pond by Evans road. One Great Blue Heron flew by as well. 10 Wood Ducks, females/juvs. E Wood Peewee perched up & sang in the hot sun, a bit odd. Barn Swallows. E Kingbird.
Since birding was a bit slow, I enjoyed the Swamp Rosemallow/Hibiscus flowers at both Wahkeena & Logan Lk--quite spectacular. Fuscia, pale pink as well as white ones blooming. At Logan Lk, on the N side of Evans Rd where the water is shallower, water lilies have taken over & the blossoms/leaves are large & spectacular. If you're into photographing flowers, it's a good spot.
Peggy WangGranville