OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:05:47 -0700
I went to Sims Park on Lakeshore Blvd. in Euclid this morning and was joined by Penny O'Connor from 9:20 to 10:00.  Not a lot of variety:

Red-breasted Mergansers 85+
Double-crested Cormorants - few

I returned later (looking for my lost glove) but when I saw the Grebes I went back to get my scope.  Here is what I saw from 5 to 6pm:

Double-crested Cormorants - 900 (many continuous large groups 60-75 each flying west)
Wood Duck 1 male
Scaup 1 female
Hooded Merganser 1 female
Horned Grebes 2 (first I have seen)

Went to Villa Angela/Wildwood Areas/Cleveland Lakefront State Park on Lakeshore Blvd. near east 174th with Penny O'Connor around 10:15.  Was joined later by Jeanne Hrenko.  I thought there would be more birds today since it was nicer weather but there were a lot less than Saturday as many birds had moved out.  Penny and Jeanne left around 1 and 2pm so I ate, changed coats/sweaters and tried to find more birds.  Just wasn't able to find much else and left at 4:45pm.  Here are some highlights seen today:

American Black Ducks 2 (hiding in creek near picnic area)
Great Blue Heron 3 (all on island)
Black-crowned Night-Heron 3 adults
Belted Kingfisher 1 male
Tufted Titmouse 4-5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1, White-breasted 2
Brown Creeper 5
Winter Wrens 4
Golden-crowned & Ruby-crowned Kinglets - seen and heard all around
Swainsons's Thrush 1 (with bad eye)
Hermit Thrush - 5 (seen more later in afternoon)
Northern Mockingbird 2 (flew over near grassy knoll area)
Common Yellowthroat 1 (also bad eye)
Eastern Towhee 1 f
White-crowned Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrows - all over/did not count
Dark-eyed Juncos - 5-6, Song Sparrows 5-6
Black-capped Chickadees & Cardinals & Blue Jays numerous

The Black-crowned Night-Herons are along the west side of the creek north of bridge best seen from the parking area near creek west side of marina and look across to the other side in the trees.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/