OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Letetia Villalobos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Letetia Villalobos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2021 21:32:15 -0500
This is my first posting on this site although I have followed the site for
a couple of years.

Based on the previous sightings, we visited Tagg Rd in Licking County.

We saw numerous Lapland Longspurs, Horned Larks and Snow Buntings and 4
Eastern Meadowlarks

We scanned the trees and found a Short Eared Owl perched in a tree. As we
moved closer he flew down into a corn field and we got a much better look
at him. He flew off and we drove down the road looking for him and much to
our surprise, we found him perched in a tree with another one.
Such a special time of birding on this winter day.

I do have a question. A large bird of prey flew overhead which was white
underneath and his face was white with black markings, resembling an
Osprey. His tail was long and banded and white at the base. Any thoughts on
what bird this was?
Letetia Villalobos