OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2020 14:54:42 -0500
The cold wind made birding challenging, but I visited several spots in NE
Columbus, with the 2 in the topic line the standouts.  Normally I wouldn't
compare Minerva Park with Blendon, but the Lake had been redone at Minerva,
and there's now a walking path below the dam that is a great place for
birds to hide out of the wind, like today.  The lists between the 2 were
surprisingly comparable.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - Thoreau Lake at Blendon had a few Mallards & BlackDucks, while
Minerva Park Lake had a horde of Mallards
TurkeyVultures - 1 was over Minerva Park, while 2 were south of Blendon
Hawks - Minerva Park had a skulking Cooper's
Woodpeckers - both had a handful of the common species (Red-bellies,
Downies, Hairies)
E.Bluebirds - 4-5 were below the dam at Minerva Park
Yellow-rumpedWarblers - a few at both spots
Sparrows - Blendon had lots of Songs & White-throats, while Minerva had
those plus a Tree & a flock of Juncos, all below the dam
Finches - House Finches & Goldfinches at both spots, and both had single
Pine Siskins