OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:04:05 -0500
Hello Ohio Birders,

Before I attempt to spell out how we should decide what does/doesn't count
for listing purposes, I want to make clear that each of us should keep
personal lists according to whichever "rules" we as individuals decide to
use. Your time, your hobby, your rules! :-)  For scientific purposes, I
follow "the more data the better", so it's best to log everything in my
opinion, including escaped exotic pets, domestic waterfowl, etc.

That said, many of us decide to play the birding game by a more "official"
set of rules. Think of it like playing a backyard volleyball game by rules
you and your friends make up as you go, versus playing by official
International Olympic Volleyball rules.  Again, your yard, so you pick the
rules, but there's also nothing wrong with adopting someone else's rules.

So where does one find these "official" birding rules?

Many birders would say (as would I) to follow the American Birding
Association'ss listing rules (e.g.,
http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/).  Just as you might not fully
believe your friend who claims to have detailed knowledge of Olympic
Volleyball rules, and might instead prefer to see a copy of the actual rule
book, you always begin by consulting the "rule book" when it comes to
listing! ;-)

What are the ABA rules, and how do they apply to Trumpeter Swans (or
Ring-necked Pheasants, or collared Trumpeters that were hatched in the
wild, or ... etc.)?

To attempt answering that question, we should be reading the full set of
rules (http://www.aba.org/bigday/rules.pdf) which includes information on
how to interpret them. Here's the short version as far as Ohio Trumpeters
go:

*RULE 3: The bird must have been alive, wild, and unrestrained when
encountered.*
*“Wild”* means that the bird’s occurrence at the time and place of
observation is not because it, or *its recent ancestors, has ever been
transported or otherwise assisted by man.*
(i) An otherwise wild bird that voluntarily uses or is attracted to a
feeder, nest box, tape recorder, ship at sea, or other nonnatural device
without being captured is still considered to be wild. Physical contact
between an observer and a bird does not automatically preclude a bird from
being counted, as there are situations where wild birds have learned to eat
from outstretched hands, or have used people as temporary perches.
(ii) A species observed far from its normal range may be counted if in the
observer’s best judgment and knowledge it arrived there unassisted by man.
A wild bird following or riding a ship at sea, without being captured, is
considered to be traveling unassisted by man.
(iii) *Birds descendant from escapes or released birds are considered
“wild” when they are part of a population which meets the ABA definition of
an established introduced population.*
(iv) A bird that is not wild and which later moves unassisted to a new
location or undergoes a natural migration is still not wild.

So are wild-born Trumpeters, whose parents were released in Ohio, "Wild"?
Do our Trumpeters meet the ABA definition of an established introduced
population?

These questions, unfortunately, don't have "ABA official" answers, so to be
on the safe side they probably don't (officially) count. At least if you
want to play the listing game which pretty much goes by ABA rules. Still,
introduced Whooping Crane populations and whether or not they count might
set the precedent here, ignoring the issue of whether or not Trumpeter's
were ever native to
Ohio<http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg/nature/whan_essay.htm>to
begin with (see ABA RULE
2.b.iii and 2.b.iv <http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/>), and
accounting for the fact that Trumpeters seem to be doing moderately well
(i.e., reproducing) in the
wild<http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/ResearchandSurveys/WildlifePopulationStatusLandingPage/TrumpeterSwan/tabid/19329/Default.aspx>
.

The conditions for considering a population established are spelled out on
the ABA Committee on Exotics page (http://aba.org/checklist/exotics.html).
While these deal largely with exotics, here's what they have to say about
introduced populations of "native" North American species:

The CLC has chosen to "grandfather in" the 17 species presently found on
the ABA Checklist that exist in the ABA Area wholly as exotic
populations (*species
with both native and exotic populations, such as the Canada Goose or House
Finch, are considered natives*). The 17 exotics species presently on the
ABA Checklist are the Mute Swan, Chukar, Himalayan Snowcock, Gray
Partridge, Ring-necked Pheasant, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove,
Spotted Dove, Budgerigar, Monk Parakeet, Green Parakeet, White-winged
Parakeet, Red-crowned Parrot, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Spot-breasted Oriole,
House Sparrow, and Eurasian Tree Sparrow. (The European Starling is a
native vagrant based on a specimen from Shemya Island, Alaska). If a CLC
member or any other birder believes that one or more of these
"grandfathered" species should be removed from the main part of the
Checklist, then data should be gathered and published so that the Committee
can vote on a motion for removal. The CLC readily acknowledges that some
exotics currently on the ABA Checklist do not meet one or more of the above
criteria, and that these species likely would be rejected as established
species should the new criteria be applied to them.

*The CLC hopes to eventually determine the states or provinces in which
establishment has been attained* for each of the 17 exotics that are on the
main list of the ABA Checklist (we cannot determine establishment of a
species on a more local level). The criteria—or more accurately, the lack
of criteria!—used to determine establishment varies among the local records
committees so substantially that the CLC feels it is necessary to produce
its own list based on the above eight criteria.

Very recently, the ABA has revived the "Recording Standards and Ethics
Committee (RSEC)" -- see this very timely blog post for details:
http://blog.aba.org/2013/12/the-return-of-rsec-recording-standards-take-center-stage.html.
The RSEC will be tackling issues like these once they get up and running.

But in the mean time, I'll still be entering Trumpeters into eBird, sending
in their collar numbers to the USGS Banding Lab, and pretending that all
our Ring-necked Pheasants were born wild and "countable" in Ohio.  ;-)

Good birding,
-Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH

--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10