ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:08:39 -0500
Paul, Patti and all,

I have a very thick file that holds my collection
of pseudo-subjunctives, a name that Quirk et al.
give to the If-clauses that use the subjunctive
"were" even though the statement may not be
contrary to fact. In all of these cases, it may
or may not :

John Grisham, "The Street Lawyer": "Come on," I
said, completely uncertain if he were telling the
truth."

Jim Lehrer (1999): "The president said he would
sign the bill if it were short-term."

David Mandell, author of "Obama: From Promise to
Power" (2007): "If there were any doubt left [of
his running for president], his visit to the
early-primary state of New Hampshire in December
erased it."
"Maya said her brother realized that he must
experience African-American culture up close if
he were to cleanse himself of his internal racial
confusion and bubbling anger."

Colin Dexter "The Way through the Woods" (1992):"
'Very good, sir,' Said Morse, uncertain whether
he monstrous misquotation were deliberate or not,
for he found the chief superintendent watching
him shrewdly."

David Broder: (2008) "Thompson was particularly
critical of farm subsidies, and when I asked if
he were really going to take that message to
Iowa, he said, "Yes, but . . . "

Time (2008): "Prozac Rudy never acted as if his heart were in the race."

AP (1998): "The president told Lewinsky to
contact Currie in the event she were subpoenaed."

And on and on.

Another fairly common use of the
subjunctive--correctly used, that is--is in that
clauses after verbs that convey a strong
suggestion or recommendation:

	We suggested that Mary go with us.

	We demanded that Bill go to the hospital immediately.

And after certain nouns related to commands and suggestions:

	The suggestion that Bill see the doctor was a good one.

And the subjunctive lingers in other phrases:

	I move that the meeting be adjourned.

	And perhaps that certain loud voices on our list be tempered.

Early Valentine greetings to all,

Martha