ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 09:34:10 -0400
Beth,

Good point. Our problem is that "tried my best" is an idiomatic phrase,
which limits internal analysis. All of these are possible:

I tried to succeed.
I attempted to succeed.
I endeavored to succeed.

But "my best" only works with "tried":

I tried my best to succeed.
* I attempted my best to succeed.
* I endeavored my best to succeed.

Interestingly, it is also possible to use "tried my best" in a different, *
non*idiomatic way, where "my best" *is* the direct object:

First I tried a half-hearted effort, but it didn't work, so I tried my best,
and that worked.

Unlike the other uses, here "my best" is *what *was tried, not *how *something
was tried.

Dick