ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:58:09 -0500
Ed,

In terms of subjunctives as an issue in prescriptive grammar, there's a
history of conflicting views, I think. Part of the movement to make
English work more like Latin resulted in some grammarians wanting the
subjunctive to be used where Latin would use one, while the actual
production of speakers went on its merry way undeterred.

My understanding of the current rules (and I suspect there's still
disagreement on this) is that the subjunctive is used in
contrary-to-fact conditionals, whether they start with an if or a
fronted auxiliary. Non-contrafactual conditionals use the indicative,
even if they begin with if ("I think I know what happened to the pizza.
If my roommate was here last night - and I think he was, because his
laundry is on the floor - he probably ate it."). The term 'subjunctive'
is also used for the infinitive-ish forms after verbs like suggest ("I
suggest she be promoted"), but I never see that kind causing any issues.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell