ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:04:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/2007 6:37:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Whether  or not Gretchen's students can now produce more "accurate grammar"
would be, I  think, irrelevant, at least in the short term. Very real benefits
will be  ignored if they are not thought of as valuable goals in their own
right.

Craig and Ron,

When I first started teaching (oh, those dear dead decades ago), my  school
used Warriners. We grimly taught grammar three hours a week.  The  kids hated
it.  Personally, I didn't mind it; it was easy to teach and  test, and the
scope and sequence was clear.  I kept seeing, however, the  same errors in writing
over and over, regardless of what I had taught in the  grammar class.

I did some research and kept up on it, to find that the experts  couldn't
agree on the value of teaching grammar as a way to improve  writing.  I became a
disciple of Weaver and Noden, et al.  Then my  kids seemed better at error
detection, but knew very little about  language.  I complained loudly and
vigorously to this list and others about  the lack of a coherent grammar program for
middle school.

People tired of that quickly. Then a lightening strike - why, one  gentleman
inquired irascibly, did I insist that teaching grammar improve  writing? Why
couldn't we teach grammar for the sake of grammar?  Just  because students
should know something about their own language?  Hmmm. . .  .

That's where this class is coming from,  I honestly don't care  if the
results are testable and  sustainable.  I care, short-term and  immediately, that my
students chose this class, love this class, are learning  more than they have
ever been able to about language (and yes, that part is  measurable - I had
most of them last year, and their grades on the tests in my  elective are
worlds apart from last year. I do realize that the sample size is  ridiculous,
however!).  They are excited and begging me to teach areas that  stumped them last
year.  That alone seems a worthy goal to  me.

Thanks,
Gretchen